Friday, February 24, 2012

Surprise!

      Two days ago, my dad(and mom) got me a car. A really nice car, at that. It's a 2010 Hyundai Elantra.
 It looks brand new.  But I say that not to brag, but  I'm writing this because I learned a few things.   

       I don't deserve this new car. Not one little bit. I haven't done anything special. And if anything, I've slacked off. I really thought I would keep my car for a little while longer, but My dad pleasantly surprised me. For no reason, other than he's proud of me and loves me.   
       And, I already had a car. It wasn't the best, but I was content with it. It got me from place to place and did it's job. It was good enough... Yet, now that I have this new car, I see what I was missing. All the speakers work all the time and the air cools down immediately. It's just so much better than what I had! It's like I now know what driving is actually supposed to feel like! ;)    
       All of this made me think of a lot of things. Our heavenly Father really likes to bless us, usually when we least expect it. Most of the time, we don't deserve His blessings. Actually, we never deserve them. But He gives us gifts every day that we could never earn. He gives us things such as life, forgiveness, health, food,shelter, etc. Just because He loves us! That's it. Even when we've gotten lazy in our Spiritual walk and slacked off, God still loves us immensely. And even when we think that we'll stay where we are just a little bit longer, we get blessed. A lot of times, that's just it. We are perfectly content with where we are. Life is "fine".  We don't need anything more. We are fine being mediocre and normal. Our relationship with Christ is good enough, and we are ok with it. But then, THEN Jesus intervenes. He gives us life more abundantly. He calls us to himself and consumes us, and we realize exactly what we were missing! Passion begins to fill our hearts instead of indifference. Joy comes instead of negativity. Peace comes instead of anxiety and worry. Comfort comes instead of pain. Love comes instead of hate.  It's like we begin to see what life is actually supposed to feel like! A life daily in God's presence is so totally worth it. It's exciting and new and challenging and sometimes scary, but it's amazing!  Why in the world would we be content with being stagnant and comfortable?!         
          Now, that's not to say life with Jesus is perfect. Ha! Christ followers have just as many trials as anyone else, but God is still there in the storms. At those times it's harder to see his blessings, but they're there. He never leaves. He just allows trials because they make us closer to Him. But like I already said, blessings come when least expected. :)

"Surely you have granted him unending blessings and made him glad with the joy of your presence." (Psalm 21:6 NIV)

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." (John 10:10 NIV)


"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!" (2 Corinthians 5:17 NIV)



Father, help me to be thankful all the time. Thank you for blessing me all the time, even when I don't deserve it. Forgive me for being content with being lukewarm. Forgive me for not taking your gift of abundant life. Help me to see you in even the small things. I love you. I want to love you more.

No comments: